How much horsepower is enough? Which construction material is reliable? What is the best option in a mid-range price?
You must have such questions boiling inside your head if your house needs a sump pump. It’s because you don’t want to spend on something unreliable.
Here is an advice. Stick to the brand that is on top of the plumber’s choice and has the most positive reviews from customers. You can’t go wrong with something that worked out for everyone else.
Let’s make it simpler for you. Wayne CDU 980E ¾ submersible sump pump is the first choice of thousands of homeowners across the world. And no, we are not exaggerating it a bit. You can check it for yourself.
But if you don’t have the patience to go through all the reviews, this Wayne cdu980e review is for you. Here we will explain all the features, benefits, and limitations to boost your confidence so you can make clear decisions for your house.
Introducing Wayne CDU980E ¾ Submersible Sump Pump
This CDU980E from Wayne is the top-selling sump pump in the market. It is extremely good at flushing out stagnant water through a discharge pipe farther away from the building. You can call it the first-line defense mechanism against the water monster. Give it the responsibility of your basement and get ready for a stress-free sleep.
It features rugged cast iron construction and a powerful ¾ HP motor. It is a unique mixture of efficiency and compactness in the same price bracket as others. And quality? Well, you don’t have doubts about the quality when the company is Wayne.
Here are the important specifications of this Wayne CDU980E sump pump. Check it out:
Wayne CDU980E Specifications:
- Product Type: Submersible sump pump
- Manufacturer: Wayne
- Dimension:8x8x12 inches
- Weight: 22 pounds.
- Motor:3/4 or 0.75 HP
- It comes with an 8ft power cord and a warranty
- GPH:4600 and NPT discharge: 1-1/2″
- It is assembled in the USA and CSA agency approved.
- Voltage: 120V
- Switch: integrated vertical float switch.
- It is intended for residential and light commercial uses.
- HIGH-CAPACITY REMOVAL - This 3/4 HP WAYNE basement sump pump is perfect to keep your basement dry during heavy water flow. Whether it’s rain, snow melting, etc. WAYNE model CDU980E can pump up to 5,490 GPH to keep your basement dry.
- TOUGH AND DURABLE - Corrosion-resistant stainless steel motor housing and fasteners come with a cast-iron volute that provides long life in tough sump pump applications.
- EFFICIENT DESIGN - The top suction design eliminates air lock and minimizes clogging from any debris in the bottom of the sump pit. Easy to install in about 15 minutes with no need to drill a weep hole!
- ADDITIONAL FEATURES - 1-1/2” NPT discharge for compliance with building codes. The vertical float switch has been tested to 1 million cycles for long-lasting use.
- QUALITY YOU DESERVE - Proudly assembled in the USA for quality you can trust. Warrantied for 5 years for dependable, efficient, & ultra-quiet performance.
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
What We Like About This Product
- Corrosion-resistant construction for durability.
- Abrasion-resistant polycarbonate impeller for reliability
- Premium John Crane Carbon shaft seals for quality.
- It comes with a good warranty.
- ¾ HP motor ensures more power. The flow rate is 4660 GPH.
- It is financially economical.
What We Don’t Like
- Installation is harder than it seems.
- No battery backup included.
- Customers complain that the power cord is too short.
Who Is This Product For?
Before you get all hyped up, we want to clear some assumptions. No doubt, Wayne CDU980E has something to offer for people with various needs.
But, if your house doesn’t need such a powerful motor, it is wise to buy a ½ HP (like the Barracuda) or 1/3HP pump (like Zoeller M53). 3/4HP the pump is more powerful and can move 4660 gallons per hour. Plus it is a submersible pump. So if your house doesn’t see rain that much, it can burn-out quickly.
However, if your requirements match the following list, you do need this amazing sump pump. Check out:
- You need a more powerful sump pump that can lift higher than 15 feet and longer than 8 feet.
- Your house experiences frequent flooding and requires a pump with more GPH.
- You love your night sleep and want a pump that can work quietly.
- You live in a frequently flood-affected area.
- You want to use a sump pump for multiple applications.
- You don’t have time to check for debris or stones. In short, you need a low maintenance item.
- You are ready to pay some extra cash for premium service.
Problems You Might Face
The best of the sump pumps have defects too. It is a reality we can’t escape. That’s why knowing the defects and a way to overcome them will make you more confident.
Wayne CDU980E sump pump doesn’t include any battery backup. No doubt about the pump’s quality. But what if the electricity goes off? It is not uncommon to lose electricity during a storm. That means, despite having the best dewatering machine, you get a flooded basement.
So what is the solution?
Most homeowners have a backup battery-powered sump pump. It is only used during a power cut. It can last almost 5 to 8 hours.
Quick Burn-out Due To Insufficient Water
¾ HP may sound good, but you should only install it if you have the need. Because of its huge power, it can flush out water pretty fast. That means if your house has low to average water level a ¾ HP pump won’t have much water to move.
As a result, it will burn-out due to overheating. So what is the solution?
You can maintain the pump from time to time. Pour a bucket of water occasionally if the weather is dry. It will make sure the pump is on working condition.
Wayne CDU980E Review: Features And Benefits
Now let’s dig deeper into our Wayne cdu980e review. Down below you will find all the cool features it has to offer.
Cast Iron And Stainless Steel Construction
The cast-iron construction ensures the durability of this pump. You don’t need to worry about the lifespan. It is strong and can take the abuse of rough water conditions without any wear and tear.
It also helps the pump to transfer heat into the fluid. Overheating is not an issue.
And stainless steel is used in the construction to prevent corrosion or rust. Submersible pumps always sit inside the basin and thus, require more protection. Besides, it shows extraordinary toughness at a very high temperature.
¾ HP Oil-filled Powerful Motor
3/4 HP pump can lift 20 to30% more water than its ½ HP counterparts. No doubt, it is an extremely powerful motor. People who need a flow rate of 4660 GPH to keep the basement bone dry, can rely on this pump.
Also, the pump is filled with oil. Oil provides better thermal conductivity; (almost 5 to 7 times more than air). It minimizes the energy loss as heat during operation. As a result, you can save on your electricity bill.
Besides, the oil inside the pump also works as a lubricant. You don’t need to open it occasionally to grease the bearings and seals. Pretty convenient, right?
Wayne has used Polycarbonate to add extra strength to the impeller. The impeller is the rotating part that converts rotating energy into kinetic energy and causes the water to circulate. It is the only part that has closer contact with the fluid and everything in it including stones and debris.
A polycarbonate impeller is close to unbreakable. It shows effective protection against any type of weather and debris. Due to its low heat transmission, it keeps the pump cooler. This ultimately leads to longevity and reliability.
Automatic Vertical Float Switch
The most effective element in any sump pump is the switching system. NO matter how wonderfully designed the pump is, if the switch doesn’t turn on, the pump won’t start working. It will lead to a flooded basement anyway.
Thankfully, the Wayne cdu980e sump pump is 100% factory tested. It has passed one million test-cycle. So you can have a stress free night without having to worry about the switch.
This vertically integrated switch is a level sensor. It can detect the water level and react fast. When the water reaches a pre-determined level, it floats. The magnet inside it make the reed close and gives a signal to the pump.
The material used in the float is polypropylene. It is known as the steel of plastics. It has self-healing properties that can resist acidic elements. Besides, polypropylene doesn’t conduct electricity. It makes the switch safer for the user.
Some Additional Benefits
- The installation is very easy for a pro. The process doesn’t require a plumbing change either.
- It is a specially designed submersible pump. You won’t hear the “hump” sound or any vibration. After all, the hardest working pumps are the quietest ones.
- It is compact without sacrificing efficiency. That’s why it looks visually good than its competitors.
A Few Alternatives For Your Consideration
As always here we represent a few alternatives that you may consider as well. Take a look at the comparison chart for yourself –
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
We can’t say this CDU980E model is free from faults. Throughout this entire Wayne cdu980e review, we didn’t try to hide the cons from you. Rather we described them and showed you how to overcome them.
These faults are not much of a deal when you compare them with other models in the same price range. And yes, we would surely recommend it to you.
So, let’s ask the big question.
Would you give it a chance to protect your basement?
- If you find any damage after unpacking, don’t install it.
- Don’t carry it using the power cord.
- Don’t use it to treat untreated sewage.
- Maintain it from time to time and do repairs if necessary.
>>>Check out out reviews and comparison of the best Wayne Sump Pumps<<<