If your main concern while buying a sump pump is the budget, then it can be hard to find a long-lasting basement protection. Cheaper price equals to cheaper service and lower lifespan.
These lower price box store pumps need several repairing throughout their lives. It eventually costs you more than what you intended.
But not anymore! Zoeller has brought a solution to this. Zoeller m57 submersible sump pump is the upgraded version of their famous m53-mighty mate. You will get the basic features of the m53 packed up with quality material and skillful engineering.
In this Zoeller m57 review, we will discuss the features, benefits, and its limitations in a simplified way.
Have fun reading!
Introducing Zoeller m57 Submersible Sump Pump
Zoeller is one of the oldest family-owned pump manufacturers in the USA. Zoeller has launched so many pumps in recent years to cover any kind of water solution you need.
But this m57 model needs special attention. It is simply an upgraded version of Zoeller’s m53 model within the average price range.
Here is some more important information you should check out:
Zoeller m57 Submersible Sump Pump Specifications:
- Manufacturer: Zoeller. Model number: 57-0001.
- Motor: 1/3 HP, power source: AC.
- Voltage: 115V and amps draw: 4.8 to 9.7 amps.
- Dimension: 11x11x8 inches.
- Flow rate: 2580 GPH @ 0 feet, 2040 GPH @ 10 feet.
- NPT discharge size: 1-1/2″.
- It weighs about 21 pounds.
- It comes with a 9 feet cord.
- Switch type: Vertical 2 pole float switch.
- Construction material: cast iron.
- Minimum sump pit diameter: 18″.
- It is assembled in the USA.
What We Liked About Zoeller M57
- No sheet metal parts are used in this.
- It is one of the quietest pumps.
- Powdered epoxy coating for extra protection.
- No clogging issue in the impeller.
- The best part is that it is affordable.
What We Didn’t Like
- 1/3 HP power may not be sufficient if your house sees heavy rain more often.
- Customers had complaints about the phone service (not everyone).
Who Is This Product For?
Here is a list. If you can relate to any of these following circumstances, you definitely should think about this pump seriously.
- You have a very tight budget. You can afford a pump within the price range of a cheap box store pump.
- You desire a long lifespan more than other accessories in the pump.
- Your house faces rain or snow-melting quite often.
- You are planning to sell the house and want a pump to add value.
Problems You Might Face
You should have an idea about the problems you might need to face during or after you have bought it. Have a look
Not sufficient power
It is a fact that every pump is built to tackle certain kinds of situations. You must know the water level and frequency of rain in your area before buying a pump. A 1/3 HP pump can’t satisfy you if it is burdened beyond its limit.
In case your house floods more often and the weather is rainy most of the time, opt for a 1/2HP pump.
Keep in mind that this pump is inoperative at 20 feet head.
Zoeller’s hit or miss phone service
Many customers have got damaged parts delivered to them. This problem occurs actually due to improper shipping. But customers have found Zoeller’s phone service very friendly and helpful. They were quick to send a replacement and help the customers with insurance.
But some customers also claimed the phone service to be not helpful enough.
Well, you never know what kind of behavior you will receive. As Zoeller is a reputed company and cares for its customers, you should hope for the best.
Despite these problems, the Zoeller m57 pump has won the heart of thousands of homeowners. They sleep better knowing that their house is under good protection.
Additional Read: Top 4 Zoeller Sump Pumps Comparison
Zoeller M57 Review: Features And Benefits
Here is the main part of our Zoeller m57 review. Read carefully so that you can make the best decision.
Cast iron construction
Cast iron construction of the pump makes it tougher and durable. We already mentioned that m57 is an upgrade of the m53. That’s why this model uses cast iron material instead of thermoplastic. Cast iron is corrosion resistant and impact resistant. It can survive the abuse of rough water problems and debris easily.
Cast iron material is really good at distributing heat equally. As a result, your pump will have no red or hot spots. It means it will operate better and longer.
1/3HP powerful oil-filled pump
Zoeller m57 includes an effective motor with 1/3 or 0.33HP power. The discharge flow rate is 2580 GPH @ o feet head, 2040 GPH @ 10 feet, 1140 GPH @ 15 feet. Head means the vertical length that water has to cover before moving into the drainage pipe.
It is sufficient for most of the houses. It can handle low to middle water level pretty easily. We have read reviews where customers have found it effectively fighting against rough water levels over the years without fail.
Also, this oil-filled motor adds to its durability by keeping the bearings lubricated 24×7. Oil is better at heat-dissipating than any other element.
It is advisable to see the flow rate graph of this pump on Zoeller’s website. You will get a clear idea about its capacity.
No clogging issue
The Cast iron impeller in the m57 is stronger and more durable than the thermoplastic ones. It can handle solids up to ½” diameter. We know, impellers have to deal with debris, stones, etc. These little intruders can lodge into the impeller and stop its operation. Scary right!
Zoeller m57 doesn’t include a screen-like intake to make sure you don’t have to face such problems. Plus cast iron body adds to its durability.
Thermal overload protection
This amazing feature is neglected most of the time and many people don’t know how it benefits them. A thermally protected motor has heat-sensing elements. When the temperature rises above a pre-determined level, the sensors send signals to the pump and halt the operation. This break time lets the pump get cool again. It also has a reset button outside.
Though it is not good to stop working suddenly, it is better than repairing the whole pump due to severe damage.
Just keep in mind that if your pump is shutting down a lot lately due to overheating, it’s a bad sign. You probably need a replacement.
Now, we are talking about one of the most affordable pumps. Lower price is one of its best features. Do you think m267 will be way too powerful for your house? And would you like something better than the m53? Then you are actually asking for a Zoeller m57.
You can buy it for under $150. It is an average price for a box store pump. It is great for you if your sump pit doesn’t collect that much water.
- We can’t help but mention the responsive customer service of Zoeller. There are cases of customers getting defective parts due to shipping inconvenience. But Zoeller is sincere and helps the customers with the situation.
- It comes with an extra layer of epoxy powdered coating. This coating increases the hardness of the surface. It is also impact resistant and heat resistant because of high insulating properties. This coating also makes the color look aesthetic and more consistent.
- The bearings and fasteners are made of stainless steel. It has less heat conductivity. Thus, it doesn’t lose shape while pumping hot liquid. It is a very useful feature. You see, if the fasteners melt or lose shape, the liquid can easily get into the pump.
- It also features a neoprene seal. It is resistant to chemicals, corrosion, and is also waterproof.
A quality sump pump is something you don’t want to gamble with. After all, it gives protection to your basement and furniture.
But we can’t also avoid the budget issue. Some families want a good pump within the price range of a box store pump.
That’s why Zoeller has focused only on the core features in this m57 model. It won’t cost you more than the box store pump. But the features are definitely more improved and durable. And even if you are not on a tight budget, this pump can surely stand up to your average needs. We highly recommend this one. You get what you pay for!
Hope you benefitted from this Zoeller m57 review.
Thank you for keeping up with us. You deserve some tips.
- Install a water alarm.
- Don’t forget to drill a 1/8″ or 3/16″ hole on the pipe.
- Clean the dirt from the sump pit periodically. It will minimize clogging issues.
- It is common for the pump to show wear and tear after 7 to 10 years. If your area rain most of the time the lifespan of the pump will be reduced.