Looking for a sump pump that keeps your basement dry? Well, that’s a wise investment. Most people don’t feel the need for a quality sump pump until they are standing knee-deep in the groundwater.
A sump pump can save you all the headache of dealing with flood and regular dampness in the crawlspace.
Now, when it comes to choosing a sump pump, who could tell you better than the experts? Yeah, ask any pro plumber and there is a high chance they will suggest you a Zoeller m53 sump pump. Talk about popularity!
Still, you should never spend money on sump pumps without proper research. There are a lot of technical things that are involved.
Don’t worry, in this Zoeller m53 review we have got everything covered. You will learn about the amazing features, specifications, and limitations it comes with.
Have fun reading!
Table of Contents
- Introducing Zoeller m53 Mighty-Mate Submersible Sump Pump
- Who Is This Product For?
- Problems You Might Face With Zoeller M53
- Zoeller M53 Review: Key Features and Benefits
- Additional Features
- Alternatives You May Consider
- Wrapping Up
Introducing Zoeller m53 Mighty-Mate Submersible Sump Pump
If you have researched a little on sump pumps, you must be familiar with “Zoeller.” It is a leading brand in the sump pump industry for almost 70 years. Zoeller has always been committed to its customers. And guess what! Zoeller m53 is their top-selling product.
Durable materials, effective engineering, and a reliable brand. No doubt, it has been a favorite dewatering machine to thousands of homeowners across the globe.
It offers you cast iron construction and powdered epoxy coating with a 1/3 HP motor. Perfect for residential uses.
Here is some information you should check out.
Zoeller m53 Submersible Sump Pump Specifications
- Dimensions: 7.8 x10.5×10.5 inches.
- Weighs about 21 pounds.
- Manufacturer: Zoeller
- Product Type: Submersible sump pump.
- Construction material: Cast iron.
- It is compatible with 115V and 230V and maximum amp draw 9.7.
- It comes with a thermoplastic base and impeller. Discharge capability: 1’5″.
- Also comes with an instruction manual.
- Power: 1/3 HP, maximum operating temperature: 54C.
- 3/10 HP pump for residential sump pits or septic tanks
- 1½" discharge, passes 1/2" spherical solids
- Automatic model with integral float-activated switch
- Cast iron switch case, motor, and pump housing, plastic base
- Performance: 43 GPM at 5' TDH, shut-off: 19.25' TDH. 100% factory tested
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
What We Like About This Product
- The flow rate of “Zoeller m53” sump pump is 43 Gallon Per Minute. It pumps a large volume of water faster.
- The Cast-Iron construction is durable.
- It offers you a quieter operation.
- The installation is quite easy.
- Ideal as a residential and light industrial sump pump
- Powdered epoxy coating adds extra strength.
What We Don’t Like
- Customers complain about the float switch being too short for the sump pit.
- It is not made for high water-level and rough situations.
- It can be a little difficult to install for amateur hands.
Who Is This Product For?
Before we jump into the features and benefits section, it is important to know whether you need it or not. Because each sump pump has its own specified uses and qualities.
A top-class 1/3 sump pump can’t provide optimum service when used in situations beyond its capacity. Likewise, a high power 1/2 HP would be a waste in an area with lower water table.
If you can relate to the circumstances described below, a Zoeller 1/3 Hp submersible sump pump is what you need:
- If you live somewhere with an average water table.
- If you find regular dampness in the basements or smell a bad odor from there.
- In case you are planning to sell this house in the future, a quality sump pump would add extra value.
- If you have breathing diseases like asthma. Because breathing in mold can trigger asthma and other allergies.
Problems You Might Face With Zoeller M53
Every product has its limitations. Zoeller m53 is no immune to this. You may have to face some problems during or after installation. Knowing them before will make it easier to handle.
Submersible Sump Pumps Are Difficult To Repair
Submersible sump pumps are fully submerged into the sump pit or the basin. The pump is protected by waterproof construction around it. This also means it is harder to bring it outside for repairing.
That’s why DIY installation or repairing can be tricky or risky. You can solve this issue by asking for professional help.
1/3 HP Pumps Can’t Handle Extreme Situation
1/3 HP motor is a good deal for average households. But there is one thing. The ability of a motor depends on the water level. If your house constantly experiences natural disasters, you won’t be much satisfied.
Learn about the water table and the frequency of heavy rainfall and storms.
Zoeller M53 Review: Key Features and Benefits
Now, let’s dig a little deeper into our Zoeller m53 Mighty-Mate Submersible Sump Pump review. We have described below all the cool features of Zoeller m53 that make it stand out.
Submersible 1/3 HP Sump Pump
Submersible pumps sit in the pit or basin. It uses kinetic energy to move the water that seeps into the pit. As the water level rises, the pressure inside the basin also increases.
At one point, when the pressure is enough, the pump pushes the water through a pipe attached to it. And, the pipe drains out the water outside.
A 1/3 HP submersible sump pump is ideal for households. It is enough to get rid of a damp basement. Remember, when it comes to sump pumps, more power doesn’t always mean better.
Vertical Float switch In A Cast-iron Case
A vertical float switch is attached to the pump in a waterproof case. This float switch triggers the pump to start circulating the water. When the water level rises above a pre-determined level, the switch activates the pump automatically.
It doesn’t need you to turn on and off the pump every time. The waterproof case makes sure the switch doesn’t get affected by corrosion or rust.
You can install a water alarm and install it a little above your switch. Just in case the switch fails, the alarm will let you know.
Cast Iron Structure
Cast Iron body prevents overheating due to continuous operation. The motor works fine when turned on and off in intervals. Forcing it to run without intervals will increase the voltage. When it increases to a certain level, the pump gets overheated.
Cast Iron construction dissipates the heat into the fluid resulting in cooler operation. This is what makes this pump last longer than pedestal ones.
Powdered Epoxy Coating
One of the many benefits of powdered epoxy resin is the protection from corrosion. No matter how strong a cast-iron construction is, rusting can occur due to being submerged 24/7.
That’s when powdered epoxy coating comes to rescue. The electromagnetic charge holds the powder to the body. It is a shield for the pump and fights against moisture.
It also makes the maintenance procedure easier. You just have to wipe it down with sloppy water. And then rinse it off. Besides, the pump looks aesthetic and nice.
These additional features can be quite handy for you. Check out:
Thermoplastic Base And Impeller
An impeller is the rotating part of the pump. And thermoplastic is known for corrosion-resistance.
It transfers energy from the motor into the liquid and causes it to move. This moving mass of water forms a whirlpool. Whirlpool means a funnel type shape moving down the surface. It minimizes any clogging issue.
People don’t get the usefulness of a carrying handle until they install it. A carrying handle makes the transportation, installation, and repairing super easy.
No worries. Zoeller has thought about this before us.
Airtight Neoprene Ring Seals
A moisture-proof seal is one of the most important components of a pump. Zoeller m53 provides you with a neoprene airtight square ring seal.
It will prevent your children, pets, or other valuable things from falling in the pit. Plus it can handle more air and water pressure. Which means, it makes all the moisture stay inside the pit.
Oil Filled And Overload Protected Motor
Oil Filled motor is more durable than air Filled ones.
Heat affects the pump’s long-life. The oil inside the pump act as an equal distributor of heat. It means no more hot spots.
Besides, oil as a lubricant makes sure the bearings are in a well-shape all the time.
Alternatives You May Consider
Looking for something similar but not this model exactly? Well take a look at the below options –
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
Buying a sump pump is always a bit overwhelming. Especially if it is your first one.
That’s why we advise you to go with a reliable brand. And, “Zoeller” screams reliability.
Homeowners love this m53 sump pump for its efficient performance. You won’t be disappointed with your choice. If the features suit your requirements, take the decision, and buy it.
And maybe it will be the last time you will ever need to buy it.
Thank you for keeping up with this Zoeller m53 Sump Pump review.
You Deserve Some Tips –
- Use a quality check valve. It will keep the water in the pipe from returning to the pit. Water coming back and forth may lead to overheating.
- Drill a 3/16″ relief hole. So you won’t have to worry about debris and stones interrupting the operation.
- Make sure the pipe drains water at least 20 feet away from your house.
- Check for building codes and read the manual carefully.