A sump pump protects your house by redirecting basement water out of the sump pit through the disposal drain. It is a lifelong investment and costs you a good chunk of money. That’s why most of us wish for a pump that would cost less and still be able to provide years of reliability.
And if you wish the same, then the Liberty 257 automatic submersible sump pump will be a great pick for you. Thanks to its clever engineering, you get a stunning performance and admirable features even though the price is low.
In this liberty 257 sump pump review, we will highlight all the amazing features and benefits of this pump. Also, we will discuss the limitations and how you can avoid them best.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s dive in.
Introducing Liberty 257 Automatic Submersible Sump Pump
Liberty 257 automatic submersible pump is the most reviewed sump pump on Amazon. It requires a lot of potential and top-notch quality to be loved by thousands of homeowners and plumbers throughout the world.
This pump is basically a cheaper version of the liberty 287 pump. It was designed for people who don’t want to replace their pumps within a decade. And the best thing about this pump is its affordable price tag.
Check out the important details about this sump pump down below
Liberty 257 Submersible Sump Pump Specifications:
- Manufacturer: Liberty pumps.
- Model number: 257.
- Dimension: 9.6×9.6×10.5 inches.
- Construction material: rugged cast iron.
- The switch is a magnetically operated vertical float.
- The recommended minimum sump diameter is 10-inch.
- Motor: 1/3HP (hermetically sealed).
- Power source: corded electricity.
- Voltage: 115V and draws amps: 5.2A.
- NPT discharge size is 1.5 inches.
- It weighs about 21 pounds.
- The flow rate is 2250 GPH at the 10-foot head.
- It comes with a 10 feet long cord.
- The maximum working temperature is 140 degrees
Who Is This Product For?
No product can satisfy everybody. Different buyers have different needs and choices. That’s why it is essential to know the kind of needs this pump can satisfy.
We have prepared a list below. If you can relate to any of these circumstances, then the liberty 257 sump pump is all you need.
- You live in a low-lying area. The water table is low to medium.
- 1/3HP is perfect to handle the amount of water enters into your sump pit.
- The pumping capacity of 2250 GPH at a 10-foot head is enough for your basement.
- Your sump pit’s diameter is at least 10 inches.
- You want to buy a sump pump that has lots of positive reviews on Amazon.
Things I liked About This Product
- It is very much affordable. You get this top-notch pump at a bargain price.
- It comes with a good manufacturer’s warranty.
- It features a long and quick-disconnect cord.
- It is easy to install even for a newbie.
- The pump includes a thermally protected motor.
- The construction of the pump is solid and durable.
Things I didn’t Like
- The float switch range is 3.5 inches.
- It doesn’t come with a carrying handle.
Problems You Might Have To Face
Though the liberty 257 sump pump is perfect for any kind of water emergency, it still has issues. And if you are going to invest in it, you should know the defects and their causes earlier.
Abnormal noises or vibration
When you hear abnormal sounds from your sump pump, don’t get nervous. It doesn’t always mean that your pump is damaged. There can be other reasons like broken impeller, objects stuck in the impeller, or too rigid pipe.
You can solve this problem. If the reason is a broken impeller, you have to replace it. To get rid of small objects, you have to remove the pump from the basin and clean the impeller area.
The pump doesn’t turn off
When you face such problems, you should check the switch properly. If the switch is unable to move to the turn off position, the pump won’t shut down. It happens due to interference with the side of the basin or other obstacles.
In such a case, you should position the pump switch so that it has enough space for a free operation.
Make sure that it doesn’t touch anything.
Liberty 257 Submersible Sump Pump Review: Features And Benefits
Here is the most awaited section of this liberty 257 sump pump review. Check it out.
Rugged Cast Iron Construction With Epoxy Coating
The liberty 257 pump features strong cast iron housing. It is the best material for durability. The ability to equally disperse heat is its top quality. As a result, the pump can stay cooler during a long-hour operation.
Besides, the pump is resistant to heat and abrasion. We already know the max working temperature is 140 degrees Fahrenheit. It is possible because of the cast iron construction.
Moreover, the pump has an epoxy powdered coating to fight against corrosion or rust. Since the pump is submersible, the ability to resist corrosion is the ultimate key to its longevity.
Thermally Protected Motor
Thermal protection is another amazing feature. It means the motor includes a sensor that can detect or calculate the temperature rise. Whenever the temperature is higher than normal, the sensors send a signal to the pump. Thus the pump halts its operation and takes time to be cool again.
There is also a reset button by which you can make the pump run again.
Efficient 1/3HP Motor
The motor is the heart of a sump pump. It is the key factor that people consider while buying a pump for their basement.
This little beast has an efficient 1/3HP motor. The flow rate is 3000 GPH at a 0-foot head, 2250 GPH at a 10-foot head, and 1560 GPH at a 15-foot head.
The motor is hermetically sealed, and the inner chamber is fully lubricated. You don’t have to open the pump periodically to lubricate it.
Stainless Steel External Fasteners
Stainless steel fasteners ensure that no water or any other liquid can enter the inner cavity of the pump. A small amount of water can damage the whole pump.
These fasteners have heat and corrosion resistance elements. That’s why they don’t lose their shape even though the water is hot or acidic.
Magnetically Operated Vertical Float Switch
The switch mechanism used here is called VMF or vertical magnetic float. It just uses magnetic attraction to send signals to the pump. When the water rises to a pre-determined level, the magnet interacts with the switch and makes the pump operate.
Liberty 257 sump pump features a vortex impeller that can handle up to ½ inch solid easily. The best thing about such an impeller is that it doesn’t have direct contact with the water. It uses a force to create a whirlpool and redirects the water into the discharge pipe.
Debris or pebbles can get stuck into the impeller and stop the rotation easily. And this can lead to overheating or other serious damages.
But this impeller is designed to tackle all these problems perfectly.
- The pump is reported to be quiet during operation. Now you can expect a good night’s sleep.
- A special benefit of this pump is its ability to fit into a narrow pit. It can sit inside a sump pit having a 10-inch diameter.
- Low price is the most lucrative benefit of this pump. You get all these stunning features within the $200 range. It is quite a deal.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty. Such a generous warranty represents the confidence of the manufacturer. It means you can put your trust in it too.
- The pump is preassembled and very easy to install. You won’t need a helping hand. You will find all the instructions on the manual.
Check out the Other Models By Liberty and their Comparison.
You should never compromise with quality when it comes to sump pump. It is the first-line defense system of your house against the water monster. A wet basement not only causes damage to your furniture, but it also affects your health.
Luckily, the liberty 257 automatic sump pump is a reliable pump that can pass the test of time. It provides strong construction, automatic vertical float switch, hermetically sealed and lubricated motor, and all of these at a low-end price.
We would definitely recommend it to you if you want peace of mind and sound sleep at night.
Well, that was all. Hope you benefited from this liberty 257 sump pump review.
Here are some tips for you. Have a look.
- Do not use the power cord to carry the sump pump. It may cause serious damage.
- Always disconnect the pump from the power cord, if you are repairing it.
- Drill a small hole on the vertical rise to avoid airlock.
Connecting a one-way check valve is a good consideration.