Frustrated with the performance of your average box store sump pump? Let me guess. They fail during rough water conditions and burn-out quickly. That means you need several replacements over the years.
Here is the good news. Zoeller has brought you this m98 Flow-Mate submersible sump pump. It is a unique combination of elegance and toughness. And this Zoeller m98 review is all about this amazing dewatering machine.
It seems like Zoeller never fails to impress its customers with new upgrades and invention.
Besides, the m98 Flow-Mate offers you more than a box store pump within the price of a box store pump. Talk about customer satisfaction!!
Now, it’s okay to have hundreds of questions boiling inside your head. Down below we have discussed all the important features, benefits, and limitations. We have simplified the technical stuff for you to get a clear understanding.
Have fun reading!
Table of Contents
- Introducing Zoeller M98 Flow-Mate Submersible Sump Pump
- Who Is This Product For?
- Problems You Might Face With Zoeller M98
- Zoeller m98 Review: Key Features And Benefits
- Additional Features
- Alternatives You May Consider
- Wrapping Up
Introducing Zoeller M98 Flow-Mate Submersible Sump Pump
When it comes to sump pumps, Zoeller knows what they are doing. During their 70 years of influential journey, they have achieved the sincere trust of their customers. You don’t have second thoughts about quality when you see a Zoeller product. That’s a fact.
Here is some important information you should look at.
Zoeller M98 Specifications:
- Manufacturer: Zoeller
- Pump Type: Submersible
- Construction material: Cast Iron
- Dimension:12 x 7.9 x 10.1 inches.
- It weighs about 38 pounds.
- Motor: ½ HP. It comes with oil-filled and watertight carbon seals.
- Switch: 2-pole mechanical float switch (6-inches travel).
- Impeller: Vortex impeller.
- Maximum fluid temperature: 54 degree Celsius or 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- NPT discharge: 1-1/2″, on point:24cm and off point:8cm.
- Handles and arms are made of stainless steel.
- 1/2 HP pump for residential sump pits or septic tanks
- Automatic model with integral float switch, 1½" discharge, passes 1/2" solids
- Performance: 72 GPM at 5' head, shut-off: 23' TDH
- All cast iron construction with stainless steel guard and handle
- 100% factory tested
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
What We Like About This Product
- It works in sump pits, septic tanks, STEP systems, and low-pressure pipe systems.
- It provides you quieter operation.
- Cast iron is used as a core construction material with stainless steel cover. Say goodbye to corrosion.
- A powerful ½ HP motor.
- It can pass 13mm spherical solids without any trouble.
- You won’t find any sheet metal component.
What We Don’t Like
- Capacitor issues due to poor thermal management.
- Battery backup is not in the package.
- Customers complain about the price.
Who Is This Product For?
A common question people ask is, if sump pumps are so important then why don’t every house have them?
Sump pumps are designed to discharge water out of your house. The power and features of sump pumps depend on where you live. The thing is, you may not need one. And it is important to know whether you require one before we move ahead in our Zoeller m98 sump pump review.
According to research, more than 60% of American homeowners have moisture issues in the basement. If you can relate to the following circumstances, you are one of them:
- If you see that your neighbors have ½ HP sump pumps installed in their basements.
- If you live in a low lying area with heavy rainstorm or snow. For example, people who live in New Jersey, New York, California, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Louisiana need this sump pump more.
- A bone dry basement can make your house look more maintained to the clients.
- Families with a medical history of asthma or other respiratory problems should avoid wet basements. Moisture in the air can irritate eyes, nose, and allergy.
- If your house experiences a lot of heavy rainfall or snow melting and you have valuable organic furnishing stored in the basements.
Problems You Might Face With Zoeller M98
The same product that you love can be useless to another person. No product can make everyone happy. It is a bitter truth. Zoeller m98 Flow-Mate sump pump is no exception.
If you install a ½ HP pump when a 1/3 HP would have been enough, you won’t be satisfied with the performance. To get the most out of a product it is crucial to use it according to its ability.
Besides these misunderstandings, some limitations can cause problems.
Tough For Solo Installation
If you are a little DIYer, it can be difficult for you to set up. The Cast iron body adds to its bulkiness. That’s why it is hard to plug in or place it in the right position. This problem can be solved if you share the load with an expert.
Flimsy Float Switch
We hear complaints about the float switch being too flimsy. Though the rest of the body is solid as a hulk, the switch may not last that long. It is also the main reason behind the pump failures. If the water level rises and the switch doesn’t trigger the pump, we know what will happen.
Thermal management issue is another alarming problem you might face with this sump pump. High starting current can be the reason behind such damages. Though a 115V AC circuit is enough for smooth operation, you can use a dedicated 10AWG/30A circuit. It will help you to avoid a tripped breaker.
Zoeller m98 Review: Key Features And Benefits
Now let’s dig a little deeper into our review of Zoeller M98 Flow-Mate Submersible Sump Pump. Here you will find all the details of the features.
Cast Iron And Stainless Steel Construction
Cast Iron is used as a core material because of its heat-dissipating and corrosion resistance power. This is the best material for a sump pump. Sump pumps tend to get overheated during operation. Cast Iron transfers the heat into the fluid resulting in a cooler activity.
Besides, stainless steel is used as an outer covering to resist corrosion. It has self-healing properties that can enhance the lifespan of this pump.
Powdered Epoxy Coating
Waterproof paint is a must as a submersible sump pump always stays in the sump pit. Powdered epoxy resin coating builds a barrier and acts as a shield to fight against moisture. No moisture means no rusting. This also means longer life. Simply, it adds to the pump’s durability.
It creates a magnetic attraction to stay on the pump and then melts into a thin layer. Besides, it gives a smooth finishing to the pump and looks nicer.
Vortex or recessed impellers are good for water that contains a lot of sand. It creates a whirlpool during its operation. Whirlpool is a funnel-shaped surface of water that passes through a very small opening.
The best thing about a vortex impeller is it has no clogging design. You don’t have to worry about stones and debris interrupting the impeller. Since it doesn’t have direct contact with the fluid, it can easily pass such solids using the circular motion.
½ HP Motor
Pumps with ½ HP motor are more powerful and efficient. If you live in a heavy rain area, you may need such motors in your pumps. It can pump 30 to 40% more than the smaller ones. They can lift the water higher and works faster too. It can manage 3660 GPH at 10 feet head and 1500 GPH at 20 feet.
You have already read the main features of this pump. Here we will talk about some additional benefits you get in this package.
Maximum Fluid Temperature
Zoeller has developed this pump to withstand harsh working conditions and temperature. It can handle moving hot liquid within 54 degrees Celsius. That’s why it can serve as a light commercial sump pump too.
Watertight Neoprene Square Ring Seals
You never truly understand the importance of watertight seal until you really need one. There is a chance that you will find your basement damp despite using the best pump. Scary, isn’t it?
This watertight neoprene square ring seals make sure all the air and moisture stays inside the pit. So, you can sleep without any worry.
Alternatives You May Consider
It is absolutely fine if you don’t like this particular model for some reason. Here are a few alternatives with same efficiency that you may consider –
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
Additional Read: Zoeller Sump Pump Reviews
Cleaning up the thick rubbish after a flood is a nightmare to people with previous experience. To avoid such headaches, this sump pump can be quite handy.
This ½ HP motor can manage rough situations. The waterproof body construction ensures its long lifespan. And the best part is, all of these come within the mid-price range with a warranty.
We definitely recommend it to you, if your house is in danger of excessive rain and flood. Buy it before you wish you had installed it.
Thank you for keeping up with this Zoeller m98 review.
You deserve some tips. Check out:
- Make sure you don’t break any rule while installing the discharge pipe.
- The pipe and other fittings should match the pump size.
- Install a water alarm. In case your float switch fails, the alarm would let you know about the situation.