Buying a sump pump is always overwhelming. And it is far more confusing if you are a newbie. Sometimes we spend too much time analyzing a pump only to find that it was not worth the time.
If you are facing the same problem, then this article is for you. Today we will discuss the liberty 287 sump pump. This little beast is budget-friendly and can last for decades. It is best for people wanting reliability and affordability at the same time.
In this liberty 287 sump pump reviews, we will analyze every feature thoroughly. We have gone through a hip of reviews to inform you about the benefits you will receive through it and also the difficulties you might have to face. We’ve also talked about who really need to invest in this sump pump.
So, without wasting any more time let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
- Introducing Liberty 287 Automatic Submersible Sump Pump
- Problems You Might Have To Face
- Liberty 287 Submersible Sump Pump Review: Features And Benefits
- Wrapping Up
Introducing Liberty 287 Automatic Submersible Sump Pump
‘Liberty pumps’ is a well-known and reputed sump pump manufacturer in this industry. They have introduced so many series of pumps for customers with different needs. Liberty 287 belongs to the 280 pump series. Due to its clever engineering and top-notch quality, it deserves to be recognized separately.
Check out the important details of this sump pump down below.
Liberty 287 Automatic Submersible Sump Pump Specifications:
- Manufacturer: Liberty Pumps.
- Model number: 287.
- Product type: automatic and submersible pump.
- Dimension: 10x10x13 inches.
- It weighs about 19.5 pounds.
- Construction material: one-piece cast iron.
- Voltage: 115 V and amps draw: 8.5 Amp.
- Power: ½ HP.
- Switch: vertical float switch or VMF. Off point: 4″ and on point”: 9″.
- The minimum requirement for the sump diameter is 10 inches.
- The maximum head is 37 feet.
- The length of the power cord is 10 ft.
- Maximum working temperature: 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The flow rate is 3450 RPM.
- NPT discharge: 1-1/2″.
Who Is This Product For?
You might be wondering if you really need this pump or not.
That’s why we have prepared a list below. If you can relate to any of the following circumstances, then the liberty 287 submersible sump pump is all you need. Have a look.
- Your previous pump was a 1/2HP pump. It is wiser to stick to the same horsepower that worked for your basement before.
- You live in an average-sized home and the water table is also medium.
- Your house needs more vertical lift and power that a 1/3 HP motor can provide.
- You have wooden furniture stored in the basement. You don’t want moisture and mold to cause damage.
- You want a pump that is less prone to switch failure.
- Pumps up to 67 GPM
- Maximum head 37-Foot
- Quick-disconnect 10-Foot standard power cord allows replacement of cord in seconds without breaking seals to motor
- Efficient motor design reduces electrical usage by up to 40-percent
- Includes a magnetically operated VMF switch for smaller pits down to a 10-Inch diameter
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
What I Liked About This Product
- The pump is made of heavy-duty cast iron material.
- The float switch is less prone to failure.
- It is a quiet pump.
- The price is also affordable for people with a tight budget.
- It comes with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
What I Didn’t Like
- The power cord (10 feet) may not be long enough for some customers.
- It doesn’t include a battery backup.
Problems You Might Have To Face
Before you make your mind, check out the issues you might have to deal with.
Since it is famous for a quiet service, small noises and vibration may seem doubtful. Keep in mind that these noises don’t mean that your pump is damaged. You just have to know the reason.
If the reason is a broken impeller, replace it. Remove any foreign object stuck into the impeller. Also, correct the 3-phase pump rotation direction, if needed. Such steps are enough to get rid of these noises.
The Power Cord Can Be Small
What will happen if the cord is too short to plug into the circuit? Well, in simple words, the pump won’t work.
That is why it is a big issue. But we have a solution for this too. You can just tell liberty pumps to provide you an alternative power cord. For customers who require a longer cord, a 25″ power cord is delivered.
Besides, you have to be careful to not carry the pump using the cord. It may cause severe damage.
Check out the best Liberty Sump Pumps with comparison.
Liberty 287 Submersible Sump Pump Review: Features And Benefits
Here is the most awaited section of this liberty 287 sump pump reviews. Read carefully and get to know this pump better.
Rugged Cast Iron Construction
Liberty 287 pump is made of heavy-duty one-piece cast iron material. No material is better than cast iron for durability. It provides huge strength to the pump. For houses that require a higher vertical lift, it is a must.
Corrosion is an ultimate problem for submersible pumps. But the non-corrosive elements of this material enable the pump to stay in shape for a long time.
Besides, cast iron has less thermal conductivity. Overheating is one of the reasons why pumps die soon. But this cast iron pump housing is resistant to heat and abrasion. That means your pump will run cooler and longer.
Advanced Switch Technology
The efficiency of a sump pump starts with the effectiveness of the switch. If the switch is prone to failure, your house is more likely to be flooded during emergencies.
Thankfully, Liberty has used vertical magnetically operated float switch or VMF technology in the switch system. It means the switch will use a magnetic force or attraction to trigger the pump when the level of water rises. The ON and OFF point is 4″ and 9″ respectively.
It is only made for pumping water out of your basement. If you need something for effluent applications opt for the 281 or 283 models.
Besides, it is a reed switch actuated by a rod or float. It doesn’t need a rubber gasket to seal the switch arm like other regular float switches. This unique design helps to eliminate the chances of failure.
1/2HP Submersible Pump
Power is the most significant factor while choosing the right pump. Remember that the bigger is not always better. It depends on the water table in your basement.
Liberty 287 pump features a powerful 1/2HP motor. It can lift 35-40% more than a 1/3HP pump. The flow rate is 4020 GPH at 0 feet, 3360 GPH at 10 foot and 2520 GPH at 20 feet.
Also, it is a submersible pump and stays inside water 24×7. Due to being submerged all the time, it can provide quiet performance. Plus the heat is continuously transferred into the water around it. As a result, you can expect a cooler operation.
Moreover, liberty 287 is an automatic dewatering machine. You don’t have to manually turn on the pump in the middle of the night. It is designed to detect the rise in water level and take action.
Stainless Steel Rotor Shaft And Fasteners
It is needless to describe the importance of non-corrosive fasteners and bearings in a sump pump. A small amount of water leakage can cause unimaginable damage to your pump. Hence, the motor cavity needs to be protected.
Luckily, Liberty 287 pump features fasteners made of non-corrosive stainless-steel material. The fasteners and rotor shafts are heat and impact resistant. That’s why no matter how hot the water is, the motor remains intact. In fact, the maximum working temperature of this pump is 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Isn’t it impressive?
Vortex impeller is well-known for its non-clogging system. Instead of having contact with the water, it uses centrifugal force to create a whirlpool. That’s why debris or stones have less chance to get stuck.
Also, if somehow it faces debris, don’t worry. It can handle ¾” spherical solid easily. That means you get a smooth operation.
- Liberty 287 pump features non-friction ball bearings that support the motor shaft. We only find ball bearings in premium quality motors. These bearings are made of cast iron and reduce overheating by eliminating friction.
- Another great benefit of this pump is its $200 price range. You don’t have to sacrifice the quality any more for a cheaper price.
- The pump is pre-assembled. You just need to follow the instruction manual carefully to install it. It won’t take much time if you are already a pro.
Liberty 287 sump pump surely has all the potential to become your basement’s best friend.
It features top-quality construction and unique design. It can suck clear a 10-gallon sump in less than 10 seconds. And the best thing is that you can get it within a $200 price range. Now, what could we ask more from a sump pump, right?
Though we can’t compare it with the other sophisticated and classic sump pump models, it has proved itself to get a serious look. We definitely recommend it to you.
Hope you benefited from this liberty 287 sump pump reviews.
You deserve some tips. Here we go:
- It is essential to verify that the pump has been sized correctly for the intended installation. Operating outside the mentioned range can cause overheating, excessive vibration, and poor energy efficiency.
- Check the pump for any damaged part before you start the installation.
- Protect the power and control cord from the environment.