Anyone who had the bitter experience of cleaning up a flooded basement knows how crucial a quality sump pump is. But have you ever thought about losing electricity during a rainstorm? Since an AC-powered pump stops working as soon as the power is gone, who will protect the basement?
We don’t want to scare you but that’s a fact. Well, don’t worry. We have the perfect solution for this: Wayne BGSP50 Guardian sump pump. It is a powerful combination sump pump designed to protect your house even during a power cut.
In our Wayne guardian sump pump review, we will discuss how it can be your basement’s best friend. We will simplify the technical stuff for your understanding and analyze the features thoroughly.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s dive in.
Introducing Wayne BGSP50 Guardian Sump Pump
Wayne is one of the leading manufacturers in the sump pump industry. They always bring you pumps that can handle different types of water emergencies.
This BGSP50 is their classic pump designed with modern technology and features. It can literally tackle any obstacle in the way of a bone-dry basement.
Check out the important details of this sump pump down below.
Wayne BGSP50 Guardian Premium Sump Pump Specifications:
- Manufacturer: Wayne.
- Model number: BGSP50 and color: black.
- Pump type: combination sump pump.
- Dimension: 13.5x9x15.5 inches.
- It weighs about 66 pounds.
- Construction material: Cast iron (for both pumps).
- Power: ½ HP for primary pump and 1/7 HP for the back-up pump.
- Switch type: redundant reed switch.
- It comes with a 10 feet long cord.
- Voltage: 120 V for the primary pump and 12 V for the back-up one.
- NPT discharge: 1-1/2 inch.
- The combined flow rate is 6540 GPH at 0′ foot head and 4560 GPH at 10′ feet head.
- The minimum requirement for the sump pit diameter is 14 inches.
- Indoor Use Only - WAYNE Basement Guardian has two fully submersible, nested, all cast-iron AC (primary) & DC (back up) sump pumps that are “drop in the pit” ready. Complete with two (2) pre-installed 1-1/2 in check valves.
- Back-Up Ready - Basement Guardian will pump up to 5,100 GPH and remove/evacuate/expel/get rid of up to 11,000 gallons on a single battery backup charge. WAYNE WSB1275 75 AH Battery is required for back-up but not included.
- Smart Home Ready - Compatible with Apple iOS and Android for continuous monitoring, even when the power is out. Innovative Local Link technology transmits data to the app during power outages when your WiFi router is down.
- Additional Features - 1-1/2" discharge for easy installation and compliance with building codes. Use in 15" diameter or larger sump basins. Remote display box shows hours of pumping power, battery health & charge, and water level.
- Quality You Deserve - Proudly assembled in the USA for quality you can trust. Warrantied for 5 years for dependable, efficient, & ultra-quiet performance.
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
Things I Liked About This Product
- The battery can last for 6 hours straight and can drain 1100 gallons within this time.
- The construction is strong and long-lasting.
- Through an android app, you will be updated 24×7 about the condition of your pump.
- It can work quietly without making abnormal vibration.
- The switch technology is more sophisticated and less prone to failure.
- It comes with a satisfactory manufacturer’s warranty.
Things I Didn’t Like
- Though it features a battery back-up system, it doesn’t come with a battery. You have to buy it separately.
- The price is not affordable if you are on a tight budget.
Who Is This Product For?
Buying a sump pump can be overwhelming. It becomes even harder if you are a newbie. That’s why It is natural to ask if this pump can really satisfy you or not.
We have prepared a list below. If you can relate to any of the circumstances below, this Wayne BGSP50 sump pump is all you need.
- You desire worry-free basement protection.
- You are ready to pay extra for a premium service. Quality is what matters the most to you.
- Losing electricity during rough weather is common in your area.
- You live in a low-lying place and the water level is medium.
- You have wooden furniture stored in the basement. You don’t want mold to grow and cause damage.
- You require a flow rate of 6540 GPH at 0 feet head.
- You or your family members have a respiratory disease that can be triggered by moisture in the air.
Problems You Might Have To Face
Wayne BGSP50 is a classic sump pump. You should not doubt the quality and reliability of this pump. Still, every product has some faults.
Before we jump into the detailed discussion, you must know about the problems that can cause trouble.
You Have To Buy The Battery Separately
Though it includes a battery back-up pump, the battery needs to be bought separately. Most people make a mistake by using the wrong battery. As a result, your pump doesn’t work appropriately during an emergency. And the rest is a nightmare.
But don’t worry. You can ignore this problem. Make sure you buy a 27 deep cycle or marine battery. An AGM type would be even better.
- Always Have a Plan - Wayne WSB1275 battery helps keep your basement sump system running, especially when you lose electricity.
- Back-Up Ready - Compatible with the Wayne ESP25n, Wayne WSS30Vn, Wayne Basement Guardian, and all other Wayne battery back-up systems.
- Fully Charged - 12V/75Ah sealed battery comes fully charged with carry handles for convenience.
- Additional Features - Sealed lead acid battery is easy to install or remove. Battery is rechargeable for repeated use. No need to mix acid and add water – this battery is maintenance free!
- Quality You Deserve - 1-year limited warranty for dependable performance.
As an Amazon Associate PumpHow earns from qualifying purchases
Two Separate Check Valves Are Required
Since the instruction manual doesn’t give detailed information regarding check valves, many customers make mistakes. Check valves are basically used to keep the water moving in a single direction. It also helps in providing a quieter service.
Remember that you need a check valve for each pump. Otherwise, the check valve may end up working backward and block the flow.
For the best result, try to use separate pipes for each pump. In this way, if there is an issue with the first pipe, it won’t affect the operation of the back-up pump.
wayne guardian sump pump review: Features And Benefits
We have reached the most awaited section of this Wayne guardian sump pump review. Read it carefully to make the best decision for your house.
Heavy-duty Cast-iron Construction
Both the AC and DC powered pumps are made of rugged cast iron. No other material is better than cast iron when it comes to pumping housing. Since it is a submersible pump and needs to stay inside the water 24×7, corrosion and rust is its biggest enemy. Luckily, this material has great non-corrosive properties that protect the pump from corrosion or rust.
Plus, as an added bonus, this pump has a heat resistance and impact resistance ability. That’s why you can get years of services without wear and tear.
Besides, cast iron is great at dissipating heat into the water. This quality ensures a cooler operation and long-life of your pump.
Powerful ½ HP And 1/7 HP Motor
This combo sump pump features two very powerful motors. The primary pump is ½ HP and can move 5100 GPH at the 0-foot head. For the battery back-up 1/7 HP pump, the flow rate is 2040 GPM at 10 feet head. The capacity is more than enough for an average household.
Whenever the pump detects a power loss, the back-up system kicks in. The battery is able to work for 6 hours. 1100 gallons of water can be moved by it within this time.
Moreover, when the primary pump finds it hard to drain a huge amount of water, it teams up with the battery-powered pump. Both of the pumps start pumping together. The combined flow rate is 6540 GPH at 0’head, 4560 GPH at 10′ head, and 2040 GPH at 20′ head.
Redundant Reed Switch Technology
Using a regular switch is the main reason why sump pumps fail during a crisis. But Wayne has removed this weakness from the pump. It features a solid-state air switch technology that provides redundancy.
The method involves a magnet mounted on a float that closes an adjacent magnetic reed switch as the magnet approaches it. The reed switch is protected inside an aluminum shell. Basically, there is no chance of failure.
You can monitor your pump 24×7 through an Apple IOS or an android app.
Even when the power is gone, it will send you a message. Advanced local link technology can transfer data to the app when the Wi-Fi router is down.
Display Box For Easy Verification
A display box is designed to inform you about the inner condition of the pump. At a glance, you can see the power status, water level, hours of protection, etc. In the instruction manual, you will learn what the different colored lights mean.
For example, a rapidly blinking green light means the module is in the process of sending a message. The rapid blinking of red light means the module is not communicating with the server. This feature is especially helpful for the beginners.
- The pump is pre-assembled in the USA. As soon as you open the box, you will realize that it is a drop-in-the-pit design. If you are a pro, you can finish the installation process within 15 minutes.
- It is surprisingly quiet. Even if you are one room away, you can’t hear it.
- One of the best features of this pump is its ability to fit into a narrow diameter of 14 inches.
For people who desire top-notch service backed up with the latest technology, Wayne BGSP50 is the ultimate solution. It offers you a powerful and efficient motor, heavy-duty construction, and advanced switch system.
Plus, the sump water level, battery condition, hours of protection, and power status can be verified at a single glance.
We agree that it can be quite expensive. But knowing how sincere Wayne is to the customers, you get more than what you pay.
Thank you for keeping up with this Wayne guardian sump pump review.
You deserve some tips. Have a look.
- After unpacking, carefully check the package for any damaged parts due to shipping. If you find such defects, don’t install the pump.
- This pump is designed to handle clear water only. Do not use it for flammable or toxic liquid.
- Don’t carry the pump using the power cord. It can cause severe damage to the pump.